Employment Services Certification Program
Expectations of a VR Counselor
Employment Services are services provided to assist persons with disabilities seeking employment to choose, obtain, maintain, and retain integrated competitive employment in the community.
Integrated Settings are typically found in the community in which the Customer interacts with non-disabled individuals to the same extent that non-disabled individuals in comparable positions interact with other persons.
Competitive Employment is work in the competitive labor market that is performed on a full-time or part-time basis in an integrated setting and for which the Customer is compensated at or above minimum wage and not less than the customary or usual wage paid by the Employer for the same or similar work performed by individuals who are not disabled.
Counselor and Provider communication is the key to success.
- The VR Counselor MUST be available to the Provider by appointment/reasonable notice,
e-mail and/or telephone.
- The expectations of a VR Counselor are to make appropriate referrals and check each
benchmark that is available for payment on the referral form.
- IPE goal and referral comparison should match the employment situation. Should the VRC approve a recommended job
by amending the IPE goal, the Contractor is then eligible for all benchmarks checked on the referral. In order for the employment goal to change the executive director must approve before it is submitted to the VRC.
- The benchmark date for the placement is the date the customer started working on the Job.
- Benchmarks must be achieved in accordance with the Contract.
- Reports must be Approved/Disapproved MPR in RIMS within 10 business days.
- Reports must be submitted to administrative office in 10 days of providing service.
Customer’s employment must be verified at each applicable benchmark (Placement, stabilization, 45 day, 90 day, and 150 day)
*Things to Remember-Services must be consistent with the Counselor’s request on the Referral Form, the IPE, Customer choice, individual needs
and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.
Rate Contract Provider Responsibilities...
- Accept/decline or request more information on a referral in REBA or Google Forms within 7 business days.
- Make regular contact with Customer should begin within two days of accepting the referral.
- Maintain face-to-face contact with customer and provide services directed at achieving the IPE goal.
- Develop employment situations consistent with Customer’s IPE goal and referral.
- Maintain contact with VRC by appointment/reasonable notice, e-mail, telephone - is MOST IMPORTANT.
- Advise Customer to contact VRC when he/she voices an interest in an employment goal or service
inconsistent with the IPE goal and referral. Also communicate with ADMIN office the desire to change
- Contractors should not initiate services until the referral has been accepted in REBA.
Rate Contract Provider MUST...
- Must submit MPRs within 5 days following the month services were rendered.
- Report all contact and work performed. This includes any and all communication regarding the customer. Examples include: Phone calls to/from customers or employers regarding
- The MPRs must have sufficient detail to allow VRC to validate services. If a benchmark is reached between reporting periods, the most recent MPR and an addendum, if there have been any changes, must be submitted to the VR Counselor.
- Notes need to include: Who, What, When, How, Where, Whats next. Who was present during the meeting. What happened, When did it happen, how was service performed,
what is the next step.
- Must make entries in REBA and/or Google Forms.
Contractors are entitled to receive one payment per referral for each applicable benchmark.
Click the mouse to test your knowledge!
Designed by Bailes Consulting